Saturday, March 10, 2012

Challenge Day 7- Cookies and Glow sticks

So the kids have really been digging these cookies, that I found on Pinterest. They've been asking for them again so our invitation today was baking :)


We didn't have any bananas, like the recipe called for... So we cut up a giant apple and sauteed it and mashed it up. We also added mini chocolate chips. NOM NOM NOM

Both the kids LOVE baking so this was a total hit. They love measuring and pouring and mixing. Watching the mixer is always quite an event too. (I've named my mixer Frederick, by the way. I just thought you would like to know that. It is quite the love affair)

We measured and poured and mixed. LOTS of Blankenship fun. We all love to eat so cooking is such a natural extension of that, that I'm thrilled to share with my children. I hope they learn to love to cook and bake like I do. Or at the very least be ABLE to cook for themselves as adults.

 Bella poured in the dry ingredients, while Jeremiah mixed the coconut oil into the apples and added the vanilla. Then he added the wet ingredients to the mixer. Jeremiah added some craisins and Bell added the chocolate chips. There was definitely some craisin/chocolate chip stealing going on. But I didn't mind. I joined right in. Well, with the chocolate anyways.

The cookies turned out great. Unfortunately, I was busy preparing the house for guests, that I forgot to snap pictures of all the cookie nomming going on. Everyone said they were delicious :) I wouldn't know. I'm not a oatmeal cookie person.

Not long after the cookies were done our dear friend, Breezy arrived with her two girls, Alice and Lily.

Breezy was chaperoning a teen girl retreat of some sort in the next town over and asked me to watch the girls overnight. No problem! My kids don't get very much interaction with other children, because we only know one family up here. We were all excited to see them.

When they arrived, we got everyone settled and I got dinner started. Mac and Cheese was the dish of the evening, because I know her girls don't eat some of the stuff we do. They're sensitive to spice and unfamiliar things, so I played it safe. You cannot go wrong with Mac and Cheese, after all!

After dinner it started to get dark and our evening invitation was about to begin. I wanted to WEAR THE KIDS DOWN before bed. The girls were going to sleep in Jeremiah's room, hoping to make it easier on them that mom was not present. So I knew there would be no sleep for anyone, unless they were exhausted when they laid down. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

I cracked open about 50 glow sticks and turned off all the lights. I turned on some Veggie Tales music and let them go. They were HILARIOUS. They were throwing them in the air, waving them around and watching in awe as the stick could make one solid mass of color in front of them. At one point we put a glow stick on every appendage of each child. Since they could now "see" each other... a game of cat and mouse was in hot pursuit. They ran laps around my kitchen/dining room/ living room area.  They all were running and laughing while slamming into walls and each other. They had a blast and Daddy and I couldn't stop laughing at them.

We eventually woke Mia up from her nap, to join the fun and eat her dinner. She wasn't so sure about the glow sticks at first but eventually was waving them around, like the other kiddos.




No comments:

Post a Comment