Sunday, March 4, 2012

Challenge Day 1

I started Day 1 rather timid, yet excited, about the whole process. I saw a finger painting in a gallon ziplock bag idea on Pinterest. I decided that was a good place to start. The general idea is to put paint into a ziplock bag, suck the air out, tape it to the table and let them doodle on it. GENIUS! They were intrigued for all of 10 minutes. But hey! It was a start. Later in the day I decided to make Cloud Dough.

Bella, my 2.5yo, excitedly helped me mix the concoction. Jey, my 5yo, had a smile from ear to ear when he realized he had free reign of this stuff. Then it was game on. I laid a plastic sheet on the floor and took the kids shirts off and let them go. I did not realize the play my kids were craving. They. Went. NUTS! They were squealing and giggling. They played for two hours, until finally at 1pm, I wrapped up the activity so we could have lunch. Baths were DEFINITELY needed before lunch time... So, off to the bathroom we went. They took a bath together for the first time in a while. I decided to allow the play to continue. They made a wreck of the bathroom. Water EVERYWHERE! I lost my temper, and then realized... It was a whole 1 towel and 2 minute clean up... And they had a blast doing it. Eh, ok, go for it.

I asked them what they wanted for lunch. They chose PB&J. I soon realized, I had sent Daddy to work with the peanut butter. Jelly sandwiches it is! The kids grabbed their chairs and pulled them to the counter. They were making their lunches for the very first time. They grabbed their bread and knives and went to town with the jelly. Bella chose to make a half of a sandwich, which she ate one bite of, and then refused. Typical, for her. Jey chose a half sandwich as well. Only afterwards, he made another half, and then ate Bella's half.

We made dinner and ate and got ready for bed and for Daddy to return home. Overall, I consider it a successful day! We had fun and I'm learning to let go of the messes and let them PLAY!

1 comment:

  1. Great first day! I love the finger paint in a bag idea! We have a carpeted apartment so I've always been so wary of paint with my 4 year old which I've always regretted having to limit.

    ReplyDelete