Monday, March 5, 2012

Challenge Day 3- Light Table

The morning started out a little blah. I woke up to a naked toddler and screeching (playing) children. They also woke the baby up. Again. The hubbs woke up with a headache for the second day in a row. As I lay on the couch while the kids eat breakfast, I consider making a pot of coffee. Mind you, I drink coffee daily. I was just too lazy to get up and make it. I also did not particularly feel like deciding on an activity for the kids. It's much easier to be a lazy parent. LOL I finally muster the energy and put on some coffee and put on my thinking cap for the kiddos.

Well, they LOVED painting yesterday... But, I didn't want to do the same activities over and over. I bought shaving cream last night to make the bath time paint I'd seen on Play At Home Mom's blog. (I think) AH HA! I got it. I mixed shaving cream with food coloring and put a dollop on each kids plate of each color. I then sat up TV trays for them to paint ON. My thinking was... Lot's of fun + clean trays + clean hands when done = WIN!

Jey was puzzled to why there was no paper, but did not take long to dive right in. "Oh it's soft!" and "Oh it smells sweet!" and "IT'S SO SQUISHY!" promptly took over the conversation. Bella, on the other hand, put ONE finger into the concoction and FREAKED out. She once again, demanded to wash her hands. She then went and grabbed some plastic utensils and started poking around inquisitively. A few minutes later she runs and grabs a 'baby'. Apparently, it is the 'baby's' birthday and this is her cake. Don't you love the randomness of kids? It was absolutely adorable.

Jeremiah at this point has now mixed all the colors together and is staring at a nasty brown-ish color. While not happy about the color, he is enjoying the texture. Isabella got paint on her hands a few more times and washed them again. After about an hour, Jey finally decided he was done. He got up to the kitchen sink and scrubbed the brown goo off his hands and used soap to get off any remaining color. He then proceeded to make him and Bell peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Bell finished hers by putting on the jelly, "By me-self!". Well, she did... and she ate it all! She must have been hungry staring at that "birthday cake" all morning.

We then all cuddled on the couch and turned on a movie while we were waiting for the baby to wake up so I could take Mia and Jey to the store. We were going to get things for the 'light table", but Jeremiah did not know that.

The baby FINALLY woke up. (Longest nap ever!) And we got ready to go. Bell was to stay at home with Daddy and play and help him tidy up. We got dressed and bundled up to brave the cold and got going.

We get to Target and Jey flips. He LOVES Target. We spend so much time looking at every interesting thing and talking about them and how much they cost vs. how much something else costs. He's having a ball. We get done at Target and it's time to go to Lowe's and get 'light table' supplies. We grab some fluorescent lights and plexiglas and head home.

We get home and eat dinner and Daddy and I get to work on the table. The kids are all running around excited because we're building something. We finally get done about a half hour before bedtime. The kids are in AWE. They look at the table. They touch it, poke it, and then squeal with delight. They see all the little stickies and do-dads I've placed on the table, just to show them the table, and they love it. They play until an hour past bed time. We sit and talk about the colors and letters and textures. This is going to be a huge hit in this house. I'm so excited!

Day 3 down... I'm enjoying it more each day!

3 comments:

  1. Where did you get the plans/instructions, for the light table? And how much did it cost?

    http://leasenchantedcloth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We converted my sons train table into the table. There is a link above labeled 'light table'. It will bring you to the Play At Hone Mom blog where they give instructions :)

    ReplyDelete